|1||Snake Plant, Sansevieria trifasciata, Sansevieria Zey Lanica – Plant|
|2||5-inch (13 cm) Grower Round Plastic Pot (Black)|
This plant is known as Snake Plant for its leaves resembling shape or Mother in Laws tongue for its sharp margins. Sansevieria trifasciata is a species of foliage plants in the family Asparagaceae. Leaves are erect, fleshy, sharply pointed, sword-shaped, deep green with light gray-green horizontal stripes.
Leaves arise in a rosette from a thick rhizome. Small fragrant greenish-white flowers bloom on mature plants. Flowers and fruit rarely appear on indoor plants.The Snake plant purifies the air by absorbing toxins through the leaves and producing pure oxygen. In fact, Sansevieria is an ideal houseplant.
|Plant Height||12 inch (30 cm)|
|Plant Spread||5 inch (13 cm)|
|Common Name||Snake plant, mother-in-law tongue, tongue of a devil.|
|Maximum Reachable Height||Up to 2.4 mete|
|Flower Color||Greenish white.|
|Bloom Time||Rarely bloom.|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow.|
Planting And Care
- This snake plant survives in the outer as well as the indoor condition.
- Keep the plant in partial sunlight area.
- Also, keep the plant indoor condition where the bright light is available.
- Use nutrient rich, well drained, well aerated, and porous potting mix.
- Water a plant when the topsoil in pot (5 to 8 cm) feels dry to touch.
- Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering for the winter & rainy season.
- Try to water the plants in the morning around 8-10 am.
Application of Fertilizer:
- Apply fertilize a plant mostly in the spring and early monsoon season.
- Loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots to the plant can easily uptake the nutrients and moisture.
- When a plant outgrows in current pot, re-pot with fresh potting soil and some fertilizer.
- Do the re-potting late evening and keep the plant in shady area for 2 to 3 days then move the plant to its required light condition.
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
Snake Plant Care
Initial care for 1-2 weeks after receiving plant at your location:
- Keep the plant in natural indirect bright Light.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Water when topsoil (1-2 inches) feels dry to touch.
- Do not re-pot for min. 2 weeks after receiving it.
Key requirements to keep plant healthy:
|Sunlight||Bright indirect natural light or bright artificial light.|
|Watering||Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture. Water when topsoil (3-4 inches) feels dry to touch. Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.|
|Soil||Soil should be well drain and fertile, rich in organic content.|
|Temperature||12-29 degrees Celsius.|
|Fertilizer||Apply any organic fertilizer.|